Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sewing Class: Foundation Paper Piecing



First Stitches Quilt Shop and Sewing Store
Canon City, Colorado
www.firststitches.com

I am so lucky to have a great quilt shop in town!  I snapped the photo above last summer. The quilt shop is in the cutest little old brick house and is filled to the brim with fabric, notions, sewing machines, and assorted sewing paraphernalia.  I've been eyeing the classes offered at the shop and I signed up for a Paper Piecing class a number of weeks ago. The class was cancelled due to a big snow storm a few weeks back. The class was postponed until today... Valentines Day.


The technique is called Foundation Paper Piecing and the instructor, Faith Wellman, provided the center pieces with words, which were printed on special fabric using an ink jet printer. We had lots of phrases from which to chose.  Everyone in the class (there were five students) picked their own phrase and everyone had a very different color schemes in the fabrics they brought.  I liked every one's finished product better than mine.  There is really an art to selecting fabrics in quilts and projects like this.  I have a lot to learn when it comes to fabric choices.
 
 
This is the backside.

 
A little close up view.  I stitched in the ditch to quilt the object a bit.  I used my new sewing machine for this project. I struggled a bit with my new machine but am still pretty happy with my final product.

 
Oh, I forgot to tell you what this is... it's a Mug Rug!  Cool, right?
 
We all posed for a photo at the end of class.  The building behind us is a called "The Dollhouse".  It's a nice little building behind the quilt shop where classes are held.  It's a great little space.
 
Our instructor, Faith, is both an instructor and designer.  She sells patterns on Craftsy and you can see more of her designs by clicking HERE.  

No comments: