Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Travel Tissue Covers


My mom and I got to chatting about tissue covers made of fabric.  It sounded like a fun and quick sewing project and a good use for some scrap fabric.  Before I had a chance go "Google" a tutorial or pattern, my mom sent me a link and you can find it HERE.  Thanks, Mom!

The tutorial is found on a very cute blog called "Two Brown Birds".  I need to take some more time to look at all the patterns on that site. 

For a tissue cover, you need two fabrics which look cute together. For the fabric on the outside, you need a piece of fabric which measures 5 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches.  For the fabric on the inside (the lining), you need a fabric which measures 5 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches.  I was looking at the pattern on my phone and mis-read the measures and cut a bunch of rectangles which were 5 1/2 inches by 7 inches!  Don't do that!

Believe it or not, when I was cutting the fabric, I kept saying to myself, "Measure twice; cut once!" 
I should have been, "Read the measurements in the pattern three times, measure twice, cut once!"
Doh!

I love the Zebra print tissue covers above.  I was going to use a pink lining but, as I said above, I had some reading/measuring/cutting problems when I first got started on this project.  I like the contrast of the red fabric with the black and white Zebra print.  I showed my tissue covers to my little neighbor girlie... Miss B.  She's 9 years old. She picked the Zebra print and proceeded to tell me her entire room is done in Zebra print.  Wow, how smart am I?!  Miss B picked the Zebra print for herself and then I asked her to pick one for her mom and she picked the Zebra print for her mom as well.   So that leaves me with the Dragonfly print tissue cover with coordinating black fabric with polka dots.   So if you are looking for a really quick, really easy, really practical, and really fun sewing project... here's some inspiration for you!  I can see me making lots of these for little gifts.

For folks who follow this sort of thing, Teacher Appreciation Week is May 5 - 9 (2014).
Don't you think this would make a great little gift for a teacher!?

Let me leave you with a tip from my Mom... because Mom's do know best. I learn so much from my Mom!  Mom says she made cardboard templates to cut her tissue cover pieces. I used my rotary cutter, rulers, and a cutting mat, but having cardboard templates would really make the cutting a breeze!


No comments: