Monday, September 26, 2011

Do you ever have one of THOSE days!?...

One of my favorite books as a kid was "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day".  I checked out this book so many times from the library and my Mom read it to me over and over (Thanks, Mom!). 

For Alexander, it goes like this:

***
He could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. He went to sleep with gum in his mouth and woke up with gum in his hair. When he got out of bed, he tripped over his skateboard and by mistake dropped his sweater in the sink while the water was running. He could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.


It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Nothing at all was right. Everything went wrong, right down to lima beans for supper and kissing on TV.

What do you do on a day like that? Well, you may think about going to Australia. You may also be glad to find that some days are like that for other people too.
****

I've felt as if I could relate to Alexander the past several days.  Today, I took the time to make myself some poached eggs in the new "Poach Pods" I splurged on for my birthday.  The very first bite I took, while I was still standing in the kitchen... it tumbled down the front of my shirt and landed on my left foot.  I guess it could have been worse; I could have been dressed for work and I could have been standing over carpet.

Yesterday, I took the time to make a pot of coffee before making my way to work (to get there at 6:00 am  on my birthday). I topped off my coffee mug on my way out the door.  As I was putting my shoes on in the garage, I noticed a moth fluttering about.  Sure enough, by the time I had both shoes on, the moth had taken a plunge in my hot, hot coffee and was floating there... dead. 

I was tucking my son in the other night. (Yep, he's 14 but still loves for me to tuck him in each night).  He decided to put his head and pillow at the foot of the bed which allowed me to step in extra close to give him a hug.  I forgot the steel bed frame has legs and casters (wheels) and I stubbed my toes... really bad.  They hurt for days.

As for my knitting, it was just as bad. I decided to try out a few patterns out of my book "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders".  The socks I want to make with the cable that runs down to the big toe... it calls for casting on 72 stitches on size 1 needles. I have been working on the socks FOREVER and am still on the ribbing.  I keep asking the boys... what is 72 times 9?  What is 72 times 13?  I've completed a ridiculous number of stitches and I am STILL on the ribbing. The sock will be frogged and I will start over on larger needles with 52 stitches in each round.  At the rate I was going, sock #1 would never get done, let alone sock #2.

I cast on a drop stitch scarf with sock yarn too.  The pattern calls for a huge # of stitches and makes a squarish wrapl, but I opted to make a longer and narrower scarf. I got several rows into it and decided it's still too wide.  Time to frog!

I made a fingerless mitt with an elaborate cable; I finished it yesterday.  I cast on with the same number of stitches as the other fingerless mitts I've made recently but I used even larger needles to account for the cable pulling things together.  Yep, the fingerless mitt is really narrow and really tight.  I need to find someone with really small hands.

Yep, it's been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad few days. I am not yet contemplating moving to Australia.  Well, maybe...

3 comments:

K2 said...

I'm so sorry you've a bummer time!!!! I started taking my birthday off years ago when it seemed useless to push the fates more than necessary! Now I try to spend a few days camping or San juan island hopping for some yearly goal setting and mellowing. It's worked so far and I'm much less likely to be or make a horrible time! I'm really sorry but I hope your days get better!!! Think of all the soft, squishy wonder yarns still out there for you to find! And the colors!!!!! Just waiting out there somewhere to be found and loved/used!!!! Happy knitting!!!!! Not sad and icky knitting!!!!! Tons of hugs and HAPPY thoughts all for you!

nil_orally said...

Nah, you don't want to move down here - winter's on the way.

Kim said...

Summer is on the way here. I'll have to reconsider moving to Australia in six months when winter is approaching. Thanks for stopping by, Tony!